9.29.2008

myself included

So, I guess I should include my actual chair/ table pairings.  (see post below if you have no idea what I am talking about)  The table I got at Target a few years ago.  I had seen it in domino and loved it, but it was more than I could spend at the time.  So, a few months later, we had a yard sale in which we made enough money to almost cover the cost.  Then, when I went to Target, it was actually marked down $100.   I still love it, it is just difficult to clean under, and not safe to crawl under (thinking of Malcolm, here).  I think I will end up bungee cording the legs together (lovely) so they don't open because if they open enough, the tabletop will come slamming down.

These are two chairs I got at a yard sale and a table from Ikea.  There is a funny story about the chairs.  They also have a settee which matches but is currently in the laundry room because I have not had a chance the spray paint it.  The set was regular wicker-tan when I bought it for $10.  I had actually admired it MANY times, as it sat on the front porch of a house I drive by almost every day.  So, this one Sunday, I am on my way to church, and I see that they are having a yard sale and selling the set.  I turn around, jump out, and ask them how much they want.  I only have $2, so I give them that, a deposit, if you will, and say I'll be back around noon if that's okay.  I emphasized that I really liked the set and had admired it whenever I drove by.  They looked at me like I was nuts, but they seemed cool with it.  So, I come back later, with Patrick in his priest getup, and pay for the set.  We load it up and go, but the whole time they were kinda giving me these odd looks.  Maybe because I referred to this priest guy as "Babe."  So, later, my neighbor comes over.  She lives across the street and is a hardcore yard saler.  She says, "It was you!  You bought the set!"  I smirked and said, "Yeah, did you see it there?"  She said, "He tried to sell it to me!  He said someone was supposed to come back for it, but did I want it, he'd sell it to me. I thought it was kinda a jerk thing to do, so I said no."  Talk about adding insult to injury.  Imagine if I had gone back to get it, it wasn't there, and then I later see in my neighbors courtyard!  She is so nice that she would probably feel bad and try to give it to me, but I would not take it, but she would insist, and we'd end up having joint custody.  Anyway, this is what I love about used furniture.  There is always a story.

No comments: