8.28.2008

peeping in windows

I have been checking out the house tours on apartment therapy a lot recently.  So many good ideas!  I actually want to post a house tour of my own house here, but I have to clean my house first.  And keep it clean long enough to take pictures of it.  Maybe I'll work in vignettes.  (Kinda like I clean...)  Then I need to figure out how to make a slideshow.

Speaking of windows, are you wondering what to do with yours?  Well, I am always a fan of the ubiquitous bamboo shade and fabric panels combo, but they don't offer much in the way of privacy as the shades are, well, completely see-through.  So, I started making these other kind of shades.  I basically get a piece of fabric the size of the window plus 2 inches all the way around, I fold and iron the "hem" and then  iron on an (iron-on) interfacing sheet which will not only keep the edges down, but line it for privacy.  Then I hand sew a little plastic ring on each side about 3/4 of the way down or so.  I screw in cup hooks at the top of the window, and to keep the shade open, I just stick the rings on the cup hooks.   Easy, streamlined, and you get to pick whatever crazy kind of fabric you want.  I even got out the hot glue gun and glued the ball fringe to the bottom.  Somebody stop me.











No comments: